Thursday, February 15, 2007

Winter Wusses

My kids are not handling the snow all that well. Last year at this time you couldn't drag Sofia back inside after a day of frolicking in the fluffy white stuff. Now it takes 25 minutes to get her dressed to go outside and only 3 minutes to find her in the corner of the garage crying, "I'm coooolllldddd. I want to go innnnnnnn!!!"

David's not a whole lot better. He enjoys about 15 minutes of outdoor play and then the mittens get wet or he face-plants in a pile of snow and then he's done. We've had such a mild winter out here (thanks El Nino!) that this feels like it's coming out of nowhere for them. But to be fair, it has been unusually windy and kids just don't like wind in their faces, I guess unless it's coming at them as they fly down hill on a sled. No hills here, I'm afraid. We left them behind in Vermont, yet I gladly gave them up to live amongst people again.

But perhaps it's a blessing in disguise. Truth is, I don't particularly want to bring them outside and run around a whole lot myself, feeling the way I do. I'd much prefer to snuggle up in front of the fire, read books and drink hot chocolate. And I'm pretty much incapable of shoveling any snow, so hopefully this is about it for us. Apparently I can blame the snow goddess for this one. Maybe with her great universal powers she can make it so the snow doesn't actually accumulate on roads and driveways. Guess she didn't think of that.

Anyway, it was bound to happen and I'm just thankful I don't live in Western New York state. I think we can handle a foot or two of snow. Eleven is kind of pushing it.

Happy belated Valentine's Day! My thoughtful husband got me some delicious gourmet strawberries dipped in chocolate. He knows me all too well.

<< Home

5 Comments:

Post a Comment