Wednesday, April 25, 2007

High-speed, competition landscaping


Facelift
Originally uploaded by Ernesto and Kristen Burden.

We've got serious spring fever and more to the point, I've got serious gardening fever. I've actually had gardening dreams (yes, how lame is that) in which I bask in the glow of my gorgeous, meticulously groomed lawn and gardens while the neighbors look on with envy. The reality is I'm no gardener. I love flowers and plants and am very interested in them decorating my yard, but I don't have much of a green thumb. Not to mention I really don't have the time or money that it takes to get a 'Better Homes and Gardens' look. I do what I can, when I can and sometimes it works out and sometimes not.

Ernesto and I having been talking for a while about sprucing up the front of the house which is more or less a boring old blank slate. There's been much talk of window boxes and new walkways and trees and shrubs. This past Sunday we were able to get a little work done on the front and I think it came out well. We've now got two flowering cherry trees in the front, plus some ground covers like heather and juniper. Oh, and lots of mulch. Actually, all the kudos should really go to Ernesto who dug up the whole area with a small shovel and has the aching back to prove it. I just put the plants in, which really took no time at all.

This morning I look out the window across the street to discover our neighbors have also dug up a chunk of their lawn and now have a nice assortment of bushes and flowers planted. It looks very nice and now I'm thinking we're going to have to take it up a notch to compete with them. Perhaps a big fountain or a small pond? Maybe just a family of garden gnomes?

Let the competition begin! This could get ugly, folks...

<< Home

5 Comments:

Post a Comment