Monday, August 20, 2007

My worst job ever

I've worked a few less than stellar jobs in my life, but today I was reminded of the worst job I ever held.

I stopped at the bank to deposit some checks and I went through the second teller's drive-through, the one that sends the checks through the pneumatic tube or whatever that thing is. I thought the kids would get a kick out of it.

As I'm preparing to launch the deposit, I hear the man in the car next to me cursing and giving the teller a hard time. Apparently he was cashing a check and she asked to see his ID. I couldn't make out everything he was saying, but the teller was biting her tongue and continuing to be very polite to this irate individual. Suddenly I had a flashback to the time when I worked as a bank teller down in New Jersey. It was maybe my second or third week there and I was working the drive-up window for the first time and I asked for this man's ID, just as I was instructed to do by the management. The man began flipping out on me and then drove around to the front, parked his truck and came into the bank to curse me out. He went on and on about he'd been coming to this bank for five thousand years and what kind of idiots were they hiring at this branch now, yada, yada, yada. I was horrified, embarrassed, angry, all that stuff. And not one of my superiors defended me. They smiled at him, apologized and sent him on his way. I felt humiliated and beleagured as to why no one stepped up and said anything. The job was horrible for about a dozen other reasons as well, all stories unto themselves, but this episode was one of the worst.

That same day I decided that it was time to find a new job. I think I worked there for maybe four months at the most. My last day there was my favorite day of work.

So as I'm watching this woman take this abuse, I was really impressed by how well she held it together. She was very professional and treated him as though he was just sunshine and roses personified. I'm sure she was seething underneath, but you really couldn't tell. I witnessed the whole scenario and I don't think the man knew anyone else was there but he must have heard me speaking to the kids because he flashed a quick look in my direction and then his face went all red. Yep, I'm watching you. Thanks for teaching my children some new words you big jackalope.

I'll try and remember that day back in NJ every time I'm having a bad day at home. A bad day here with the kids is still ten thousand times better than a good day back in that hell hole.

So now I want to know...what's the worst job YOU ever held?

<< Home

11 Comments:

Post a Comment