Thursday, March 02, 2006

It's All About The Love

Two big milestones today.

One: Waking up this morning I rolled over and Sofia was rubbing her eyes while trying to brush the fly-away, red locks from her face. I smiled at her. She smiled at me. I said, "Good morning, Loaf. I love you, baby." She grinned again and pointed at me and said, "No, love youuuuu, Mama!" And then she repeated it a dozen or so times while I hugged her tight, all teary-eyed. Good way to start the day.


Two: David was having a time out upstairs after having done something I specifically asked him not to and warned that if he did it, he would have a time out. He accepted it well enough and had gone up to the bedroom. But then he came down before the time out was up, thinking that we were having fun without him. I told him to go back up and I would be right up to speak with him. He burst into tears, sobbing loudly. I went up to talk with him and before I could even get a word out he sputtered, "You don't love me anymoooooore!!" This also got me teary-eyed. Not a good way to start the afternoon.

So they're both learning about love. And will continually be learning. Sofia knows it's something that makes us smile and David knows it's a wonderful, powerful thing, but it also causes pain. I'm still figuring it out myself, but I'm closer than I've ever been. I know this: there is nothing in the world so complicated, so overwhelming, so terrifying yet so sublime as the love for your own kids. And I don't care what anyone (are you listening, David?) says.

<< Home

3 Comments:

Post a Comment