Monday, September 26, 2005

Mocking Bird

Remember when you were a little kid and heard your voice recorded for the first time on a cassette tape? You remember how strange your voice sounded, hearing it like that, outside of your own head, thinking, "Oh, is that what I really sound like?" Well, that's kind of what it was like...

I was ironing shirts (what can I say, I never do that but there was a massive pile of them and the odd mood struck so I figured I'd better strike while the iron was hot. Ugh.) and the kids were down the hall in the play room, actually playing quite nicely together. I could hear their conversation, Sofia mostly saying "yah", which is her response to just about anything (most toddlers say "no", but my girl is a glass half full type of gal) and David is encouraging her in her play and slowly his style and tone of speech changed, sounding familiar, but I couldn't quite place it...

David: "Oh, good job, Sof. That's the way to do it."
Sofia: "Yah."
David: "Oh, now, Sofia! Why did you do that? Oh, now that's a big mess. Let's clean that up, shall we? Come on, now, help me out, please."
Sofia: "Yah."
David: "Now, you be careful there, you're going to fall down little Sof-a-Loaf. That's not how you do it. Let me show you."
Sofia: "Yah. Yah." There's a thud and Sofia begins to cry.
David: "Oh, it's okay little Sofia, you're okay baby. Now you need to be more careful and then you won't get so many boo-boos." Sofia stops crying. "See, don't be scared, you're okay."
Sofia: "Yah!"

I just don't know where he gets it from.

<< Home

2 Comments:

Post a Comment