Monday, July 09, 2007

Who are you and what have you done with my husband?

Last week was a busy one, so I didn't even get to post my cute kiddio pic on Friday. Ernesto had taken a few days off and we used the time to hang out, visit with family and get some things done around the house. I couldn't have anticipated how much we would in fact get done.

I was going to order some phonics and first reader books for David when I noticed Ernesto had saved a book in the Amazon "shopping bag" entitled, Getting Things Done- The Art of Stress-Free productivity by David Allen. E loves these kinds of books and is always looking for helpful tips for keeping things together and making them run more smoothly. I included it in my order and within minutes of reading it, this book opened up within him a whole new yearning for organization, the likes of which I've never seen. He went to town, sorting, cleaning, FILING and with great joy and enthusiasm he bought a label maker. Yes, a label maker. He said it was key to the whole productivity thing, at least, according to the book. I very clearly heard him in the office say to baby Isobel, "We love the label maker, don't we baby?" She gurgled in agreement. I would be lying if I said I wasn't just a little pleasantly terrified.

But I do get it now. After having used that little gadget myself I was labeling folders for taxes and warranties and all manner of things with great exuberance. Our files are beautifully and clearly labeled and having gone to the trouble of making the folders made us clean out the old ones and now we only have filed what we need, which is about half of what we had before. This device wields great power, making you want to obsessively label everything in your home. I think maybe the label maker needs a label.

And perhaps, just perhaps, if this thing is as magical as it seems, I could simply type in "Beef Wellington" and label the dinner plates as I set the table tomorrow night. Hey, if my husband can happily and intentionally buy a labeler, anything is possible.

<< Home

3 Comments:

Post a Comment