Wednesday, March 29, 2006

That "Lived In" Feeling

While still in the throes of breaking down boxes after the move, I am finding myself not so gently breaking in the house as well. I am a tall, clumsy woman. I used to be a tall, clumsy girl. When I'm not accidentally hurting myself, I am damaging the things around me. That's one of the reasons we hired movers.

I've dropped some heavy things on the ceramic tile kitchen floor. This material is not Kristen friendly. I don't see it lasting the year. Or I will just not be allowed in the kitchen anymore. Perhaps we could install some attractive, rubber flooring of some kind?

I've already taken a little chunk out of the nicely painted trimwork in the hallway while carrying David's "comfy chair" from the family room to the bedroom. I'd fix it, but I don't know where the wood putty, paint and brushes are.

I almost broke down the bathroom door earlier this afternoon. I noticed David had shut it the last time he used the toilet and when I went in there later to get something from the cabinet I couldn't get the door open. I kept trying to turn the handle and it wouldn't budge. I panicked and immediately went outside to see if the window was open. It was locked up tight. I went back in the house and got a kitchen chair and a flat head screwdriver and tried to pry it open. I don't know why, because it's one of the new replacement vinyl windows and it was not going to open no matter what. I found myself thinking of alternatives to using the toilet. David will happily pee on the bushes outside and Sofia's got her diapers, but where will I go? I go back in, turning the knob back and forth like a mad woman thinking, "this is stupid...when has this ever worked?" But then it opens. It just suddenly "pops" open and I'm in. I'm thinking now that maybe it wasn't even locked. I think it was just stuck. It's the only thing that makes sense. I'm glad I didn't break it down. I don't think I could have, anyway. With my powers I am only able to break things accidentally. That's even lamer than the Wonder Twins with their ice buckets and water.

I hope I don't destroy the house too quickly, and can at least allow a little time to fix one thing before I break the next. Because I was hoping to live here a very long time...

...that's funny....it just sounded like the house whimpered a little. Weird.

<< Home

5 Comments:

Post a Comment