Friday, March 11, 2005

Pinky And The Brain

It occured to me today that I've been letting my personal appearance slack just a bit this past winter. I thought about it some before heading out for the playgroup the other day. I got all concerned about my hair and what I was going to wear and I don't have much cause to worry about that kind of stuff anymore. So I'm looking at my hair thinking that it could use a cut or some color or something, so a couple nights ago I went to the drugstore and picked up some haircolor, you know, just to kick things up a notch or two. I thought "intense, true red" sounded really promising, so that's what I got.

Now, the box would have been more accurate had it said "bright, pink-tinged red that will only color half your hair".

David said it best after I showed him the results upon finishing blowdrying my hair.

"OH, what did you do to your hair mommy?? Is it red??"
"Yes, David. It's red. And pink. But only some of it. I didn't have enough color to do all my hair."
"Oh." Long pause.
I smiled weakly. "So do you like it, David?"
He looked really hard at my hair again and kind of grit his teeth a bit. "Hmm. I do."

I'm not sure how to feel about my little boy already telling white lies just to make his mommy feel better, but it was a good effort.

When Ernesto saw it for the first time after getting home from work the other day he said, "Whoah, that is RED!" Now I could be wearing a diamond tiara and it would take him at least fifteen minutes to notice, so I knew that something had to be done. I showed him how I was only able to color the top layer of my hair and the rest was still the same as before. Being the stand up guy that he is, Ernie offered to go out and get me some more of the haircolor so I could finish the job and at least have consistently bright, pink/red hair.

Now that I've finished the dye job and have lived with it a little while, I'm getting used to my new look. I know that the intensity of the color will lessen with shampooings, so I shouldn't look like Kelly Osbourne for too much longer.

Today while I was putting on my makeup in the bathroom, David wandered in and took his usual seat on the lid of the toilet tank, watching me. His gaze went from my face to my hair and I asked him how my hair looked now that it was done.

He tilted his head, smiled and said, "Pretty. Like a very pretty flower."

If you haven't guessed yet, I'm Pinky- He's the Brain.

<< Home

2 Comments:

Post a Comment