Saturday, January 08, 2005

My first blog

This is my first post here at the newly created blog, which my husband Ernesto set up for me while I had a glass of wine and told him what to do. He's a little blog-happy and knows his way around better than I, so I let him go to it. He' s been trying for a while now to get me to start my own blog (and to contribute to his) so here I am. My intentions for this blog are to share my attachment parenting stories, insights, musings and related links so that others can draw from them in some way that is meaningful. That is the hope, anyway, so we'll see how it goes. A lot will depend on how often I post and how much info I can get on here in the next couple of weeks. The actual free time I have is a small window that opens when the kids go to bed until I go to bed. Or when one of the kids wakes up, which is Sofia lately, who is on the verge of crawling and I suspect the excitement of attaining such a milestone baby feat is keeping her from sound sleep. But tonight while Ernesto and I were giddily brainstorming on my new blog, David was the first one up, or down I should say as we heard a loud thud followed by a drowsy whimper and assumed correctly that David had fallen out of bed. How any child can make his way during sleep off a bed of that size is beyond me, but he's done it more than once. I used to keep the bedrail at the foot of the bed (which is where he falls off) but he got kind of stuck in it once and then I needed it for Sofia's bed, where it is now. And since falling out of bed doesn't seem to wake him up at all (I picked him up, put him back under the covers and he just rubbed his nose, smacked his lips and sighed before rolling over on his side) I guess he's no worse for the wear.

You may wonder what any of this has to do with attachment parenting. Well, nothing I guess, unless you consider that David's bed is directly adjacent to our own and Ernesto spends a good deal of the night getting kicked and jabbed by our 28-month old, who is still learning to "share space". Our kids are in bed with us every night for a couple of really good reasons. They want to be there, and we want them to be there. And we are able to get some sleep now, which we did not the first year of David's life before deciding to sleep share. We learned a lot of lessons that year, and there's a lot those parenting books don't tell you, but should. But much more on that later...I've got to go reassure Ernesto that I'm not in here writing a novel. Now he's wondering what he started...

<< Home

3 Comments:

Post a Comment